Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Something different

Here is a bag that I wanted to try making. After having done it, I can think of a million ways to construct it better, faster and less labor intensive. I started out with a basic garter stitch strip for the bottom. I picked up and knit a couple rows all around. Then I put all but one short side on holders and knit in garter stitch, alternating colors for about 16 inches. Orange and brown on one side. Then I picked up stitches for the front in green, worked in stockinette for awhile, then did a little square in a contrasting tweedy rust color. I finished off when I thought it was about even with the side. I knit the next side the same only in deep purple and wheat. Then the back as the front only reversing the colors. Well then to sew it all together, I discover the vast difference between garter rows and stockinette rows. Duh! Back to the needles and built up the front and back to match the sides. Once that all worked out and every side was even, I worked a few rows of reverse stockinette in the deep purple color for a band around the top. I made a flat i-cord for a strap. Wait till you see how it felts! Then just because I could stand not trying it, I knit a small pocket on the inside of one of the short sides. I was always curious to see if it would just felt together with the bag or remain a separate piece. We'll see....


Post a Comment

<< Home